tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: some notes
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2003 11:20:37 GMT
On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 05:20  AM, Mindbridge wrote:
> 1. New beta
> Since the last beta there have been a lot of bugs fixed (around 30),
> there are build process updates, there is updated documentation.
> Perhaps it makes sense to have another beta soon, say end of the
> coming week?

+1

although if you're referring to my junit/build.xml changes, those are
inconsequential (I added two targets that stand alone, not affecting
any thing else).

> 3. Some minor Table changes
> The Table component allows for a lot of things, but it is not that
> easy to use, unfortunately. I would like to make some very minor
> changes that will allow it to behave very much like the Foreach
> component. E.g. displaying all locales in a web page would look
> something like this:

> source="ognl:@java.util.Locale@availableLocales"
> columns="locale:toString(), ISO3Language, ISO3Country,
> Language:displayLanguage, Country:displayCountry,
> Variant:displayVariant"/>
>
> This only requires adding a simple wrap -- the functionality is all
> there. Together with the column proposed by Erik, this will likely
> decrease significantly the problems people are having.

I'm happy to contribute what I've done with my wrapper around
contrib:Table, although I'm not convinced it is "done" and will
probably need more work.

Your proposed bindings are very similar.  Here is a representative
usage of my BeanTable:

     <component id="tableView" type="BeanTable">
         <binding name="data" expression="corporations"/>
         <static-binding name="columns"
value="name,industry,city,state,country"/>
     </component>

What does the "Language:displayLanguage" syntax mean?

BeanTable looks for a block called <columnName>Block, like this:

     <component id="nameColumn" type="Block"/>

If found, it uses that block for rendering the column cells, otherwise
it uses the OGNL expression toString rendering.  The main concerns I
have with my version is how it deals with the session state and memory
usage - I'm not convinced it'll hold up well when there is ton of data.

	Erik