tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Vince Marco <vma...@mac.com>
Subject Re: OGNL
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:43:35 GMT
Ok, then help me out here.  I haven't read or seen any extending of the
servlet, and I'd prefer not to have to bring in yet another extension to

All I am asking for is an existing initialization hook that always gets
called when an app is deployed.  I chose the engine because I am
guessing that IEngine.createGlobal() gets called on deployment to load
the ServletContext into the Global object.

This seems like it could be an effective place to do this, given that I
didn't find a more suitable method (such as initialize()) that I could
tie into in the IEngine.  This doesn't cause any state in the IEngine
and it doesn't care that the engine is session bound or if the app is

The only reason that I would share your assessment is if the
IEngine.createGlobal() isn't specifically called to create the Global at
app deployment.

Here's a question.  If I use a custom Global-class in the
web.application, do I need to override BaseEngine in order to create
it?  Seems pretty redundant to have to do both things.  Why not have an
IGlobal interface that handles the ServletContext parameters, so that
BaseEngine can create my own Global class.  Then I just have to specify
my custom class in the web.application, and presto (like the Visit).

Then I could put the OGNL hook in my custom Global constructor, with no
fuss or muss with overriding the Engine.  It is, effectively global app
behavior by the way.

Any thoughts or comments?

>i'd expect the servlet to be a better place to initialise this than the
>engine.  engines are session bound afterall (for statelful apps anyway)...
>>Very cool, and easy to boot!!
>>So, now where is the best place to install this handler in Tapesry?  Is
>>there an initialize method off the engine?

View raw message