tajo-dev mailing list archives

From Hyunsik Choi <hyun...@apache.org>
Subject Fwd: The Apache Software Foundation announces Apache™ Tajo™ v0.11.0
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:41:08 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm happy to announce Tajo 0.11.0 release.

Best regards,
Hyunsik

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org>
Date: Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 7:26 PM
Subject: The Apache Software Foundation announces Apache™ Tajo™ v0.11.0
To: Apache Announce List <announce@apache.org>

>> this announcement is available online at http://s.apache.org/ZMF

Mature, efficient "SQL-on-Hadoop®" engine used for advanced data
warehousing and analysis.

Forest Hill, MD —27 October 2015— The Apache Software Foundation
(ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards, and incubators of more
than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives, announced today the
availability of Apache™ Tajo™ v0.11.0, the advanced Open Source data
warehousing system in Apache Hadoop®.

Apache Tajo provides the ability to rapidly extract more intelligence
from Hadoop deployments, third party databases, and commercial
business intelligence tools. Tajo 0.11.0 reflects numerous new
features and improvements that include:

- Nested record type support
- ORC file support
- Improved ResultSet fetch performance of JDBC and TajoClient
- Tablespace support (similar to those of RDBMS)
- JDBC storage support and projection/filter push down, enabling Tajo
to efficiently process RDBMS tables without ETL
- Multi-query support
- Python UDF/UDFA support

Additionally, Tajo 0.11.0 includes improved join optimization, better
query response, and nearly 350 bug fixes.

"Tajo 0.11.0 represents a very important milestone. It introduced
critical features and functions that let us build out a modern data
warehouse system," said Hyunsik Choi, Vice President of Apache Tajo
and Research Director of Gruter Inc. "Especially, query federation and
tablespace features will help enterprise users easily integrate
existing databases and NoSQL stores with Tajo, a Hadoop-based
analytical system."

"Congratulations on Apache Tajo 0.11 release. As a leading online and
mobile developer of the popular MMORPG game 'TERA', we process tons of
log data to analyze various usage patterns," said Sung Min Ahn, head
of Platform Development Department at Bluehole. "We adopted Tajo in
our game log analytics system for large scale data processing and Tajo
made our works simple through its direct JSON data format support. Its
ANSI SQL support also helped our data analysts to crunch the big data
with no learning curve."

"After we adopted Apache Tajo to replace old Hive setup, the
performance and stability of Tajo led us to expand its use to more
mission-critical analysis workloads which we had depended on the
commercial DW solution before. Tajo helps us to maintain our DW system
in a more cost-efficient way," said Byunghwa Yun, R&D Planning Team at
Loen Entertainment. "We are interested in the enhanced HBase
tablespace support in Tajo 0.11. Data integration between various
storages would be way easier."

"Wider Planet is the largest DSP company based in Korea. My team has
been processing hundreds of terabytes data everyday with Hadoop and
Hive. Thanks to our business growth, the size of data has been
increasing rapidly and we have trouble in processing time and cost of
servers," said Sudong Chung, CTO of Wider Planet, Inc., and a former
Principal program manager at Microsoft China. "I am glad that we
tested Tajo, a promising alternative to Hive. Our test showed
significant improvement in processing time and service reliability.
Based on the test result, we are changing the plan of Hadoop
footprint. I would highly recommend testing Tajo to serious Hive
users."

"We provide the service that analyzes the usage patterns of electronic
powers in houses and provides household customers with informative
analysis results. We have used Apache Tajo for the analysis," said
Young Park, Project Manager of R&D Lab at Encored Technologies. "We
are pleased to see Tajo 0.11.0 release. It makes our jobs even more
productive because Tajo is super fast and provides required features,
such as UDF and multi query processing."

Availability and Oversight
Apache Tajo software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is
overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the
project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's
day-to-day operations, including community development and product
releases. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved
with Apache Tajo, visit http://tajo.apache.org/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than
350 leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the
world's most popular Web server software. Through the ASF's
meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 550
individual Members and 5,000 Committers successfully collaborate to
develop freely available enterprise-grade software, benefiting
millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are
distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively
participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and
ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and
expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by
individual donations and corporate sponsors including Bloomberg,
Budget Direct, Cerner, Citrix, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google,
Hortonworks, HP, IBM, InMotion Hosting, iSigma, Matt Mullenweg,
Microsoft, Pivotal, Produban, WANdisco, and Yahoo. For more
information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow @TheASF on
Twitter.

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Tajo", "Apache Tajo",
"Hadoop", "Apache Hadoop", "Hive", "Apache Hive", and "ApacheCon" are
registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation
in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands and
trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

# # #

NOTE: you are receiving this message because you are subscribed to the
announce@apache.org distribution list. To unsubscribe, send email from