tajo-dev mailing list archives

From Hyunsik Choi <hyun...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Portable remote client APIs
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 05:58:41 GMT
Hi Jerry,

How much faster and lightweight than REST? Luckily, Thrift may be
faster 1~2 msec than REST per call.

But, note that Tajo is an analytical system. The target response times
of Tajo are usually from few seconds to hours. So, the speed which
come from wired protocol is much trivial to the purpose of our client
APIs.

The link you introduce is about Hbase. As you know, Hbase is OLTP-like
system. It processes thousands of transactions per seconds. So, the
speed and lightweight are important to them. But, Tajo is not.

As I mentioned, REST API is very portable and has no dependencies in
many languages. I think that these are the most important factors of
our client APIs.

Best regards,
Hyunsik

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 9:33 PM, 정유선 <jerryjung@sk.com> wrote:
> I suggest another option.
> What do you think about two options for remote interface?
> Thrift is the faster and more lightweight than REST.
> Please refer this article.
> - http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/03/how-to-use-the-apache-hbase-rest-interface-part-1/
> It describes various ways to access and interact with HBase.
> Both of them, giving developers a wide choice of languages and programs to use.
>
> Best regards,
> Yousun Jeong.

APIs.