tajo-dev mailing list archives

From Hyunsik Choi <hyun...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Portable remote client APIs
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:35:50 GMT
Here is my suggestion.

I prefer REST API. I think that it would be better than other due to
the following reasons:

 * No dependency - most of script languages do not need any dependency
for this approach. Also, C and C++ just needs json library for this
approach. Please look at JSON for Modern C++
(https://github.com/nlohmann/json). It just requires to include one
header and one source file. As a result, there is no dependency
problem.

 * Portability - most of script languages basically support REST and
JSON. They don't need client implementation. They can just use REST
and JSON features in order to access Tajo. If necessary, we can make
easily some helper libraries for other languages.

 * Secure - It is easy to provide the secure channel and
authentication method too. Basically, many HTTP API provides HTTP over
SSL.

Jihoon Kang already started REST API work. If others start to develop
clients for other languages like C/C++ client over REST API after his
work, it would be best for us.

Best regards,
Hyunsik