tajo-dev mailing list archives

From Jaewoong Jung <jun...@gmail.com>
Subject tajoCli history behavior
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2014 07:48:35 GMT
Hi all,

First, a bit of introduction to myself. I'm a software engineer
working at Google and was introduced to Tajo project by my friend,
Keeyong Han, when I was looking for an open-source project to
contribute to. My current role at Google is writing a REST API server
in Java and Android client. But I also have a fair amount of
experience with MapReduce and FlumeJava, so I'm hoping I can be of
help in improving and enhancing the project.

As a newbie to the open source world and Hadoop, I decided to pick up
the easiest tasks, and this one caught my eye.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAJO-967

I took a quick look at the source code, and it looked like a simple
task, indeed.

However, I also discovered tajoCli's history behavior was slightly
different from others like bash and mysql.

When the user enters multiple commands in a single line using
semicolon and looks it up using up arrow key later, tajoCli shows each
individual command separately, whereas bash and mysql shows all the
commands in a single line as they were entered.

For example, if the user enters two commands in a single line like this,

\version; \d

tajoCli shows \d first and then \version as the user presses up arrow
key twice. But, bash and mysql show \version; \d together again with a
single up action.

I don't think bash and mysql's history behavior is necessarily better
than tajoCli or vice verssa, but, IMHO, it'd be better if tajo
provides user experience that users are used to and naturally expect.

WDYT? If you agree, I can make the change myself.

Thanks,
Jaewoong