tajo-dev mailing list archives

From Hyunsik Choi <hyun...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] 0.8.0 release and next roadmap
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 05:24:28 GMT
Hi folks,

I'm very happy to see that our community is growing! Also, It's a pleasure
to discuss the Tajo 0.8.0 release. Recently, I've tested various features
in various contexts, and tried to figure out if there are any critical
problems. I think that there are only a few issues and we can release 0.8.0
next week. If there are further issues to be solved before the 0.8.0
release, feel free to suggest ideas.

Also, I'd like to discuss our next roadmap. We are open to any suggestion
from users, contributors, and committers. Please fire away!

I'm thinking that our next stage should focus on improving the way Tajo
runs in thousands of large cluster nodes and for a number of concurrent
users. The key issues associated with this include the following:

* High availability
* Multi-tenancy scheduling
* More stability
* Improved shuffle

The current work status is as follows. Min is working on Tajo's new
scheduler (TAJO-540) based on sparrow. I'll support him. As far as I know,
Alvin is working on TajoMaster HA (TAJO-704). Also, some guys including
myself are investigating and solving the issues which occur in large
clusters. These issues should be solved in order to make Tajo a complete
enterprise-ready production.

In addition, there are some SQL feature support issues. Many analytic
problems require window functions. Also, in-subquery and scalar subquery
should be supported. So, I'd like to schedule them with high priority. In
my view, there will be very few SQL support issues if Tajo provides these
features.

Besides those areas, David is working on a nested schema and its related
work (TAJO-710). I guess this will take quite a while because it requires a
lot of hard work. So, it would be great to schedule the nested schema
loosely. That's just my thoughts, anyhow.

Aside from the discussion of our roadmap, I'd like to suggest that we need
to release more frequently after the 0.8.0 release. So far, there has been
a long period between each release because Tajo is undergoing heavy
development. By 'releasing early, releasing often', we will make more
tighter feedback loop between users and developers.

I think that there are many additional many interesting issues to be
included in our roadmap. Feel free to suggest your idea. We will arrange
our short-term roadmap and long-term roadmap based on your suggestions.

Thank you all so much for your contribution!

Warm Regards,
Hyunsik