tajo-dev mailing list archives

From David Chen <dc...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 0.8.0 release and next roadmap
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 15:20:01 GMT
Hi Hyunsik,

Thank you very much for sharing the roadmap. I am very excited for the 0.8.0 release and for
the projects on the roadmap for future releases.

I agree with Min that Tajo on YARN will be an important project. I think there will be a good
amount of work to not only have Tajo run on YARN but also run well on a YARN cluster co-resident
with other YARN applications. I think through this effort, we will likely also find areas
of for improving multi-tenancy in YARN as well since YARN is still relatively young and has
not been battle-tested that much yet.

As you mentioned, one of the projects I would like to focus on is adding support for nested
schemas and non-scalar types. This way, we would be able to take full advantage of columnar
storage formats like Parquet, which is designed to work well with nested schemas. I understand
that this will be a significant project, but I think it may be possible to divide up the work
as I have done with the sub-tasks to TAJO-710 and push out support for each type incrementally
across different releases.

Another area that I would like to learn some more about is partitioning. I have just begun
to look at TAJO-283 and am still ramping up on some of the context and the current status
of the effort, but I am interested in exploring the possibility of enabling smart dynamic
partitioning based on the way a table is queried but avoiding some of the current problems
of dynamic partitioning such as creating too many files. One possible approach that I am thinking
about is the possibility of building indices that point to offsets within files. Anyway, this
is still more of a research problem, but is one that I would like to explore.

Thanks,
David