systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Boehm <mboe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SYSTEMML-2084][SYSTEMML-2085] Language and Compiler Extension, Basic Runtime Primitives.
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2018 06:05:13 GMT
Well, SYSTEMML-2084 aims to integrate the new paramserv builtin function -
as described in the JIRA - into SystemML's semantic validation and
compiler. This would entail to first finalize the design of this builtin
function (e.g., function signature and semantics) and then integrate it
into the HOPs-LOPs-instruction compiler. You might want to take an existing
parameterized builtin function (e.g., aggregate) and trace through the
system, how we compile such a function.

In contrast, SYSTEMML-2085 would design and built common internal
primitives (e.g., data structures, and abstractions for update strategies)
that could be shared by all backends to it's mostly related to the runtime
side. If you're more interested in the language aspects, I would recommend
to focus on the language integration, maybe the local backend, and the
extensions for Keras2DML/Caffe2DML.

However, at the end of the day, it's your proposal so the scope and
approach is up to you, but we're happy to provide additional comments on
revised versions of your draft.

Regards,
Matthias