systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Chamath Abeysinghe <abeysinghecham...@gmail.com>
Subject Sub projects in Language and run time for parameter servers [SYSTEMML-2083]
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2018 06:28:52 GMT
Hi,
I am trying to understand the purpose and work needed for different sub
projects in SYSTEMML-2083. And I got few questions,

* In the JIRA it was mentioned that we are not integrating off the shelf
Parameter Server, but rather develop language and run time support from
scratch. As far as I understand, this means creating syntax for DML to
interact with the parameter server. And the parameter server implementation
is in different back-ends. So for example in Spark back end we have to
create a some kind of parameter server implementation with different
strategies, and it should be invoked by the syntax in DML. Is this
understanding correct?

* In the JIRA there is a sub project for local multi threaded back-end. In
this project does "local" mean executing on single node similar to
ExecType.CP? If it is the case why use a parameter server for a single
node?

* I was unable to find a architecture diagram for SystemML, is there any
that kind of diagram to understand the interaction between different
back-ends and language API or can you point me to those classes?

* And those new run times, are they going to be completely new separate run
times or improvements to the existing ones?

Please help me understand these issues. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chamath