systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Nakul Jindal <naku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] GSoC 2018
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2018 04:01:23 GMT
Hi Himanshu,

Per the rules of GSoC, you can apply if you are currently enrolled in a
"accredited institution, including a college, university, masters program,
PhD program and/or undergraduate program, as of the Acceptance Date".
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/rules/

If you are, we'd be delighted to have you apply. Even if you are not a
student,  it'd be awesome if you could contribute to any of the projects.
Take a look at some of the straggler PRs that Krishna mentioned on this
thread.

-Nakul

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 7:12 PM, Himanshu Mohan <himanshu.mohan78@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I like to participate or contribute in this in any way possible . I am
> working as Tech architect in AMEX with 14 yrs of tech experience .
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Himanshu
>
> > On 28-Jan-2018, at 2:11 PM, Krishna Kalyan <krishnakalyan3@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Matthias and Nakul,
> > 4 more ideas that could be included.
> >
> > [Perftest]
> > - Compare runtime System-ML to Julia, R, Sklearn, Spark MLLib based on
> data
> > gen scripts.
> > - Prepare report with all the information about failed jobs, performance
> > information, perf info against other comparable projects/algorithms
> > (plotted/in plain text in CSV, PDF or another common format)
> > - Create a simple web application (Shiny / Heroku that can display these
> > statistics)
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-1451
> >
> > [XGBoost]
> > It would be great to have XGBoost
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-978
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-822
> >
> > [ADAM W]
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-2018
> > fast ai library has this fix already implemented
> > https://github.com/fastai/fastai/pull/46
> >
> > [Straggler PRs]
> > - Add unit test
> > - Improve documentation
> > - Add more notebooks and examples
> > - Complete all easy/medium pending PRs
> > - Functionalize all algorithms
> > https://github.com/apache/systemml/pull/200
> > https://github.com/apache/systemml/pull/589
> > https://github.com/apache/systemml/pull/613
> >
> > If it looks good, then I can create/ add these issues with gsoc2018
> label.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Krishna
> >

> >> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 3:53 AM, Matthias Boehm <mboehm7@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> yes, but we as mentors will help out as needed, especially on the
> initial
> >> language and compiler integration. Furthermore, it's a rather scalable
> >> project in the sense that it could also accommodate multiple students.
> For
> >> example, the different backends are fairly independent sub-projects.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Matthias

I'm