systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Boehm <mboe...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Get plans before and after rewrites
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2017 20:29:29 GMT
Hi Nantia,

in optimization level 1, we disable the following rewrites and the explain
hops or runtime output will show the resulting plan:
* Disable common-subexpression elimination
* Disable algebraic simplifications (static and dynamic)
* Disable inter-procedural analysis
* Disable branch removal and statement block merge
* Disable sum-product rewrites
* Disable update-in-place rewrites

So, to compare plans without and with rewrites, you would need to run with
optimization level 1 and 2 (our default), and capture & compare these
outputs.

Note that there are a number of rewrites such as matrix multiplication
chain optimization, operator selection, hop-lop rewrites that are always
applied and thus not affected by the optimization level. I think it's a
good idea to clean this up (disable these remaining rewrites in O1 as
well), which would be useful for debugging.

If you're debugging any specific issue and want to see which rewrites
trigger where, you can set the log level for package
'org.apache.sysml.hops.rewrite' to DEBUG or TRACE in your log4j
configuration. If you're compiling from sources, you can also simply set
ProgramRewriter.LDEBUG to true to do the same thing.

Regards,
Matthias