systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Deron Eriksson <deroneriks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] R4ML Integration with SystemML
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2017 22:47:55 GMT

> >> So I was thinking is it absolutely must have to sync between api?
>
> Soft-yes, we should try our best to do so.

There are many benefits both for SystemML users and developers to having
the APIs be as consistent as possible. Based on user feedback, I know
Niketan and Glenn did a lot of work recently to make the Python MLContext
API much more consistent with the Java/Scala MLContext API. I think there
is an expectation from SystemML users that code that utilizes one API will
act in a similar fashion with as few modifications as possible if migrated
to a different language.

As an example of a benefit to SystemML developers, if an R MLContext API is
consistent with the Scala and Python APIs, an R tab can be added to
http://apache.github.io/systemml/spark-mlcontext-programming-guide.html and
most of the MLContext documentation can be reused across the different
languages. This greatly simplifies the creation and maintenance of
documentation, which is very important with a project as large as SystemML.
In addition, consistency across MLContext APIs in different languages
simplifies code maintenance since a developer familiar with the API
features of one language can probably work without too much difficulty on
one of the other language APIs in the project. This would not be the case
if the APIs were significantly divergent.

Deron