systemml-dev mailing list archives

From alok singh <singh_a...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] R4ML Integration with SystemML
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2017 21:39:53 GMT

see comments Alok:

From: Niketan Pansare <npansar@us.ibm.com>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 2:11 PM
To: dev@systemml.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] R4ML Integration with SystemML

>>> As pointed out earlier, R4ML is not just R interface so it is based on the earlier
product of IBM on R and it has many product feature.
Also note that the pure ML Ctx and the cmd options for dml is not ideally allow all the things
user want to do in his ML code.
The solution could be to create wrapper to make user happy  . but we have created those wrapper
but those are in R and from user point for view it feels that are just writing the R code
If the ultimate goal is to have just MLCtx based R interface than I think it undermines and
R4ML value proposition.
(We can definitely just expose MLCtx api. However calling Logistic Regression example just
for the purpose of MLCtx won't be best) R4ML.mlogit has better apis

May be we are not on same page.
(a) MLContext is not the only API, but an important one that needs to be supported.
(b) Like R4ML, our mllearn wrappers aim to simplify the usage for the Python users. These
wrappers were designed so that if someone wrote a python script that uses scikit-learn or
mllib. Then, a simple change from `from sklearn import LogisticRegression`  to `from systemml.mllearn
import LogisticRegression` should in principle allow SystemML to be incorporated in their
workflow.

Alok:
a) Does it mean you are proposing spliting R4ML into two R-wrapper and R4ML? I think that
could be idea one can potentially look into it. I second it. That way one can have pure R
wrapper and like mllearn kind of R4ML

b) Currently we can sure expose the MLContext from R as public api but to use all the code
involves many convulations to make life easier for R user. For example see code func *execute*
*output* *getDF* in https://github.com/aloknsingh/r4ml/blob/0d79b3c7975be55989466869fe99ccfd47dd6dc3/R4ML/R/sysml.bridge.R

>> 1) I think it will require a lot of work for scala and python api to be in sync with
r4ml api.
Also I feel that if the goal is too have just python, scala than we have to do the coding
at R4ML. but I think goals was to merge this project.

I guess the goal is to make SystemML better and more user-friendly. To do that, we have to
try our best to keep our APIs across language consistent. I understand it might require lot
of work for Scala and Python APIs to be in sync with R4ML API,  but it has to be done.

Since R4ML was designed in isolation with the SystemML project, I am recommending to do a
gradual merge of (1) the additional features and (2) features that diverge from SystemML APIs
so as to be R friendly; thus, allowing the SystemML community  to comment on them before merging.
This also allows the R4ML features that match one-to-one with the Python and Scala APIs to
be merged quickly and not be in the PR until we agree to every (1) and (2) features :)

Alok: See the previous comments I like we should explore the idea of splitting the way you
splitted mllearn. Still more discussion needed as I see it.  At this stage those changes will
require complete change at R4ML to have those.

Another way to think would be that R4ML can be independent package, which eventually be pushed
to CRAN.
note that in the spark dev repo. Spark core is there and SparkR is there as seperate dir and
python is there as seperate dir

Initially, SparkScala, SparkR and pyspark tried to be in sync but I think now many features
are been added which is not causing sync between sparkR and pyspark and similar between SparkScala
and SpakR and  PySpark.

So I was thinking is it absolutely must have to sync between api? Since all these will cater
to different user.

These are ideas.

Thanks,

Niketan Pansare
IBM Almaden Research Center
E-mail: npansar At us.ibm.com
http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view.php?person=us-npansar

 http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/photos/3531.jpg

Niketan Pansare - IBM
researcher.watson.ibm.com
Niketan Pansare is a Senior Software Engineer at IBM Research Almaden, where he works on advanced
information management systems that include analytics, distributed ...

cid:1__=8FBB0B30DFE367208f9e8a93df938690918c8FB@ alok  singh ---09/22/2017 12:30:51 PM---Here
are Niketan's question Thanks for taking time to answer our questions and also for considering