systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Boehm <mboe...@googlemail.com>
Subject Enabling CLA by default in SystemML 1.0
Date Sun, 28 May 2017 21:42:13 GMT
Hi all,

just a heads-up: I intend to enable compressed linear algebra (CLA) by
default in our SystemML 1.0 release. So far, CLA can be configured via
'compressed.linalg' as true or false, and it's disabled by default. For the
SystemML 1.0 release, I'd like to extend this configuration to take either
true, false, or auto, where auto will be the default. This 'auto' option
indicates to compress out-of-core matrices (i.e., matrices that do not fit
in aggregate memory), iff we support all operations over these matrices in
the given program as compressed operations to avoid implicit decompression.

If you have any concerns, please let me know. Otherwise, I would make that
change in the next couple of weeks in order to give sufficient time for
testing in the wild.

Regards,
Matthias