systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Deron Eriksson <deroneriks...@gmail.com>
Subject Build passed/failed messages for pull requests
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2017 17:42:36 GMT
Hi,

When a pull request is created or another commit is pushed to that pull
request, a build including running our test suite is performed (Jenkins at
https://sparktc.ibmcloud.com/jenkins/job/SystemML-PullRequestBuilder/).
This is the same model that other projects such as Apache Spark use
(Jenkins at
https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/job/SparkPullRequestBuilder/).

A few days ago, automated build passed/failed pull request messages were
introduced to our pull requests, following the same type of Spark model.
A) SystemML example: https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/pull/442
B) Spark example: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17765

Personally I like these messages because for contributors that do pull
requests, it automatically tells them the status of the build for their
pull requests and gives them a direct link to the build/test results. An
opposing viewpoint would be that these messages are somewhat like spam.

So we should make a public decision on the mailing list what to do about
these automated build status messages.

Some options:
(1) keep the automated messages exactly as they are
(2) keep the automated messages, but consolidate the two messages into one
(such as "Build successful" and "Refer to this link...").
(3) get rid of the automated messages

I like (2). Any other opinions or options?

Thoughts?

Deron

--
Deron Eriksson