systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Deron Eriksson <deroneriks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven build failing
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2017 22:52:40 GMT
Hi Sandeep,

That is really a great question, and thank you for bringing up this issue.
I would like to see the main SystemML jar (and -sources.jar and
-javadoc.jar) in future releases so that we have 8 Apache-approved
artifacts (including the new Python artifact) in the maven central
repository (in addition to the 4 at
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/incubator/systemml/0.11.0-incubating).
This would allow users to do things such as use SystemML as a library using
standard Maven mechanisms. Also, the sources jar and javadoc jar are very
useful for developers.

For some background, our 0.10.0 release included 10 artifacts, which I
believe caused confusion because it was hard to tell which artifact for
users to download and use. For 0.11.0, we had quite a bit of release
difficulties, so we ended up with 4 artifacts (2 binary, 2 source), which
allowed us to conform to Apache incubator release candidate validation
while releasing a huge number of improvements to the project. In future
releases, I believe 8 artifacts is probably ideal. These would be: 1 main
jar, 1 sources jar, 1 javadoc jar, 2 binary releases, 2 source releases,
and 1 python jar.

Deron

Deron Eriksson
Spark Technology Center