systemml-dev mailing list archives

From dusenberr...@gmail.com
Subject Re: SystemML Branch for any fixes related to Spark 1.6x
Date Sat, 14 Jan 2017 03:14:16 GMT
So the rename was to prevent confusion around what types of additions should be added to the
branch. We want to apply any crucial bug fixes that affect our 0.12 release to the 0.12 branch
in support of future 0.12.x releases, but we don't want to backport any brand new features
to support Spark 1.6.  Thus, maintaining a semantic name of `branch-0.12` should keep the
confusion low, and keep it clear that only bug fixes will be added in support of future 0.12.x
bug fix releases.  This is the common practice in other similar projects.

-Mike

--

Mike Dusenberry
GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw

Sent from my iPhone.

> On Jan 13, 2017, at 7:03 PM, Arvind Surve <acs_s@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Though there is no new features will be added to SystemML But fixes specific to Spark
1.6, will be added per need.In other words,  SystemML will be supported for Spark 1.6 as well.
> I don't see there was need to change branch name. Name branch-systemml-spark-1.6 was
more appropriate for user/devloper's standpoint to give clear distinction
Technology Centerhttp://www.spark.tc/

the final line that supports Spark 1.6.x.  All future releases will be on Spark 2.x.  The
idea of supporting both simultaneously was considered, but ultimately it was agreed that it
just wouldn't be sustainable.