systemml-dev mailing list archives

From "Niketan Pansare" <npan...@us.ibm.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Adding tensorboard-like functionality to SystemML
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2016 23:20:08 GMT

Hi all,

To give every context, I am working on a new deep learning API for SystemML
that is backed by the NN library (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/tree/master/scripts/staging/SystemML-NN/nn
). This API allows the users to express their model using Caffe
specification and perform fit/predict similar to scikit-learn APIs. I have
created a sample notebook explaining the usage of the API:
https://github.com/niketanpansare/incubator-systemml/blob/1b655ebeec6cdffd66b282eadc4810ecfd39e4f2/samples/jupyter-notebooks/Barista-API-Demo.ipynb
. This API also allows the user to load and store pre-trained models. See
https://github.com/niketanpansare/model_zoo/tree/master/caffe/vision/vgg/ilsvrc12

As part of this API, I added a mini-tensorboard like functionality (see
step 6 and 7) using matplotlib. If there is enough interest, we can extend
and standardize the visualization functionality across all over algorithms.
Here are some initial discussion points:
1. Primary visualization mechanism (Jupyter or a standalone app or both =>
former is useful for cloud offering such as DSX and latter provides the
design team more creative control)
2. What to plot for each algorithm (data scientists and algorithms
developers will help us here).
3. Standardize UI (if we decide to go with Jupyter, we need to extend the
code in _visualize method:
https://github.com/niketanpansare/incubator-systemml/blob/1b655ebeec6cdffd66b282eadc4810ecfd39e4f2/src/main/python/systemml/mllearn/estimators.py#L621
)
4. Primary APIs to target (python, scala, command-line or all)

Thanks,

Niketan Pansare
IBM Almaden Research Center
E-mail: npansar At us.ibm.com