systemml-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias Boehm" <mbo...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Simplification of MLContext and related APIs
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2016 16:43:11 GMT

It's great to see the ongoing progress on MLContext and related APIs.
However, one aspect that really concerns me is the creation of many
redundant data types and exposition of various internal data structures.
For example, exposing MatrixObject and FrameObject at API level is
dangerous because it makes external programs data-dependent on internal
structures that might be subject to change (no API stability) and users
might not be aware of the implications their interactions have on the
buffer pool etc. Furthermore, having such a plethora of entry points makes
it very hard to ensure consistency of the compilation chain with regard to
configuration handling, environment setup and advanced compilation
techniques.

I would recommend to create a holistic design across the various APIs that
aims to (1) reduce the number of exposed data types (for instance, I would
like to remove MatrixObject/FrameObject from the external interface, as
well as remove BinaryBlockMatrix, BinaryBlockFrame, Matrix, Frame, and
related meta data objects), and (2) create a configurable compilation chain
that is invoked from all external APIs. I understand that these data types
were introduced to simplify, for example, imports in user programs but I'm
sure we find an alternative realization with less redundancy. What do you
think?

Regards,
Matthias