systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation Personas
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2016 06:12:28 GMT
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Madison Myers <madisonjmyers@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for your input!
>
> I have an all day meeting/brainstorm session with the design team tomorrow
> so this is super helpful. I totally agree with Mike that the personas
> should not be directly addressed, but rather opportunities for different
> personas/levels to interact with SystemML are available on the website for
> the different user personas to navigate.

Although these types of meetings exclude the community, I believe they
might still bring value, but I would recommend two things :
- Get all the participants to subscribe to the mailing list
- After the meeting, please provide a summary with the main ideas and
finish the discussion around agreement on the next steps here on the
mailing list (Apache has a say that, if it didn't happen on the mailing
list, it didn't happen.)

I think starting out, we are going to address the main issue: converting
> new users to SystemML. Unfortunately even just a how to write your
> algorithms is not a basic enough "hello world" if we want data scientists
> to start using SystemML- especially those in school. Because more advanced
> users can navigate the current documentation a little easier, we will focus
> on that later, though it remains a priority.

If a helloworld is not basic enough, maybe we need to identify what is
wrong with the usability of SystemML. Let's give an example of a product
that I worked in the past, we were building a getting started guide using
eclipse, and we identified that there were multiple steps that were vary
hard and required folks to have a deep technical understanding of the
internal of the product to be able to add the required dependencies and
other steps, with the problem identified, we built an eclipse plugin that
solved much of the issues. See the guide as an example here :
http://tuscany.apache.org/getting-started-with-tuscany-using-tuscany-eclipse-plugin.html
.

> I can give you an update after the meeting tomorrow, but for now, we
> generally spoke about making tutorials and documentation clearer and even
> potentially having links to Jupyter notebooks where users could follow
> along. We will also be focusing on the website flow so that people don't
> get lost while navigating and so that selections are more intuitive.

+1, Notebooks seems to be a simple way to interact with code and a UI that
a lot of data scientists would be familiar with.

If we have a detailed guide (a.k.a. Tutorial) that explained how to add
systemml dependency, write a matrix multiplication, and execute... this
could be a "helloworld" that people could easily understand, no ?

> If you have any tutorials that are not already on the website, please send
> them my way! We want to compile everything in order to have it all in one
> place (and more organized!).

+1