systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Nakul Jindal <naku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribute to SYSTEMML
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2016 21:26:23 GMT
Hi Garvit,

A good place to get started is to look at the SystemML JIRA site:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML>

In addition to the documentation at:
https://apache.github.io/incubator-systemml <https://apache.github.io/incubator-systemml>

there is documentation in the docs/ directory:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/tree/master/docs <https://github.com/apache/incubator-systemml/tree/master/docs>

If you haven’t already done so, I’d encourage you to run SystemML in standalone mode.

Run a simple matrix multiply, stick this code in a file:

X = rand(rows=20, cols=100, min=0, max=4, pdf="uniform", sparsity=0.3)
Y = rand(rows=100, cols=20, min=0, max=4, pdf="uniform", sparsity=0.3)
S = X %*% Y
print (toString(S))

call the file “matmul.dml” and run it in the standalone mode. Play with the number of
rows, columns, sparsity, min, max.
You can look up the various built-in instruction functions in the language reference.
https://apache.github.io/incubator-systemml/dml-language-reference.html <https://apache.github.io/incubator-systemml/dml-language-reference.html>

Then setup your dev environment (Eclipse or IntelliJ).
https://apache.github.io/incubator-systemml/developer-tools-systemml.html <https://apache.github.io/incubator-systemml/developer-tools-systemml.html>

Also try setting up Spark locally on your machine and running SystemML in Spark Mode.
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/spark-standalone.html <http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/spark-standalone.html>

You can get editor support in Vim and Atom:
Vim : https://github.com/nakul02/vim-dml <https://github.com/nakul02/vim-dml>
Atom : https://atom.io/packages/language-dml <https://atom.io/packages/language-dml>
(Installing in Atom - http://flight-manual.atom.io/using-atom/sections/atom-packages/ <http://flight-manual.atom.io/using-atom/sections/atom-packages/>)

-Nakul