systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Frederick R Reiss <frre...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: January 2016 SystemML Incubator Podling Report - Draft
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 20:37:15 GMT

I also like the content below. Did we submit this report? I don't see
anything on the Apache page at <
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/systemml.html>. If we haven't
submitted, we need to send in something ASAP.

Fred

From:	Mike Dusenberry <dusenberrymw@gmail.com>
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	01/06/2016 05:32 PM
Subject:	Re: January 2016 SystemML Incubator Podling Report - Draft

This looks good to me.

-Mike

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 1:36 PM Deron Eriksson <deroneriksson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you Matthias. I have modified the report draft, as seen below.
>
> The report is due today, so if anyone has any other comments, please let
me
> know.
>
> Deron
>
> --------------------------------
> SystemML
>
> SystemML provides declarative large-scale machine learning (ML) that aims
> at
> flexible specification of ML algorithms and automatic generation of
hybrid
> runtime plans ranging from single node, in-memory computations, to
> distributed computations such as Apache Hadoop MapReduce and Apache
Spark.

> SystemML has been incubating since 2015-11-02.
>
> Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>
>   1. Grow SystemML community: increase mailing list activity,
>      increase adoption of SystemML for scalable machine learning,
encourage
>      data scientists to adopt DML and PyDML algorithm scripts, respond to
>      user feedback to ensure SystemML meets the requirements of
real-world
>      situations, write papers, and present talks about SystemML.
>
>   2. Core library improvements, including Apache Spark integration.
>
>   3. Produce a release
>
> Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board wish/need to be
> aware of?
>
>   The community has been blocked by INFRA-10714 since November.
>   Beginning Jan 6th, we are manually updating the missing fields in JIRA
so
>   that we can properly manage project issues and delegate issues to new
>   users to grow our community.

>   Users have asked several excellent questions on the dev list, and
> existing
>   committers are actively helping these users. The project is receiving
> pull
>   requests from contributors, committers have discussed these pull
requests
>   with their contributors, and contributions have been merged into the
> project.
>   Matthias Boehm has presented talks regarding the SystemML Optimizer at
>   TU Dresden, HTW Dresden, and TU Berlin. Fred Reiss presented a talk on
>   Dec 8th.

>   Numerous core library improvements have been made to project.
Additional

https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org/msg00153.html

--
Mike Dusenberry