systemml-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias Boehm" <mbo...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Is there any equivalent of kron function in DML ?
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2015 08:02:46 GMT

Hi Sourav,

well, we do not support Kronecker products K = kron(X,Y) yet. However, as a
workaround you could indeed create a custom permutation matrix P from X,
where

P[1:nrow(Y),] = diag(matrix(as.scalar(X[1,1]),nrow(Y),1))
P[nrow(Y)+1:2*nrow(Y),] = diag(matrix(as.scalar(X[1,2]),nrow(Y),1))

and subsequently create a linearized output with

K = P %*% Y

Finally, we provide a reshape matrix constructor matrix(K, rows=...,
cols=...) that allows you to rearrange your entries as needed. If you run
this on large data for X, however, we might want to put this on the roadmap
for 2016. Could you share the characteristics of the workloads you have in
mind?

Regards,
Matthias