systemml-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthias Boehm" <mbo...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Runtime package refactoring
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2015 01:16:44 GMT

Hi all,

just a quick heads-up, I'd like to do a refactoring of our runtime package.
The goals are (1) to separate out all mr-related classes (cleanup), and (2)
to prepare our core matrix block runtime for packaging as an individual jar
which would make it consumable as a small-footprint library. I intend to
make this change mid next week.

Similar to the refactoring from 'com.ibm.bi.dml' to 'org.apache.sysml',
this change would break binary compatibility with existing datasets in
binary format because the class names are persistent in the sequence file
headers. A workaround is to use an old jar to convert your data from the
old binary format to text, and a new jar to convert the text representation
to the new binary format.

Here is the proposed package structure:

org.apache.sysml.runtime
--controlprogram [...]
--core
----matrix
----funobj
----operators
--instructions [...]
--io
--mapred
----data
----hadoopfix
----jobs
----tasks
----sort
--parfor [...]
--transform
--util

Given this structure we could simply package 'core'/'util' and perhaps 'io'
into a separate jar.

Regards,
Matthias