systemml-dev mailing list archives

From Shirish Tatikonda <shirish.tatiko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project Website
Date Sat, 07 Nov 2015 22:44:58 GMT
I agree with Mike on keeping overview separate from full documentation.
However, in the systemml page, we should include all the basic information,
such as project technical overview, downloads, quick start guide,
contribution guidelines, link to issues, etc.

Shirish
I think that hosting the "overview" website (basic info on the project,
link to the GitHub code repo, binary releases, snapshots of docs for the
releases, etc.) in a separate Git repo should be fine since it's not tied
to the core codebase.  For our "docs" (guides, language references, API
Javadocs, etc.), I vote that we keep them in their current location within
the SystemML Git code repo.  When we cut a release, we can just compile a
snapshot of the docs for that release and publish to the "overview"
website.  For the current, bleeding-edge version, we can just continue our
current practice of automatically deploying a subtree of the "docs" folder
from the master branch to the "gh-pages" branch and let GitHub render it
(as is the case for http://sparktc.github.io/systemml/).  This should be
beneficial in that it keeps the docs, which are intrinsically tied to the
current version of the codebase, collocated with the code.  Also, since the
"docs" folder is just a Jekyll project with Markdown, images, etc., we
won't have any compiled artifacts (HTML, etc.) in the repo.

- Mike