syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Remove deb packages for Syncope 3.'0
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2019 05:01:25 GMT
Hi all,
I would like to propose to remove the deb packages from master branch / 3.0, for some reasons:

1. it's difficult to produce packages compatible at the same time with Debian, Ubuntu and
other derivatives: for example, ATM Debian stable has a tomcat9 package while Ubuntu LTS is
still on tomcat8

2. in branches 2_0_X and 2_1_X deb packages are used to build Docker images but on master
this has changed: since all is now based on Spring Boot, Docker images were changed as consequence

3. there are new components on master (SRA, Keymaster, WA, .. [1]) that would deserve new
deb packages, but I don't think the effort is worthwhile, especially given the reason above

4. deb packages were originally meant as a fast and straightforward way to get Syncope properly
deployed, but I think that nowadays Docker images (with Docker Compose and Kubernetes samples)
serve better such purpose, on more platforms

If there are no objections, I'll proceed with removal next week.

Regards.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/%5BDISCUSS%5D+Syncope+3.0

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò