syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Patricelli <andreapatrice...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove deb packages for Syncope 3.'0
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2019 07:15:29 GMT
+1 also for me.

Best regards,
Andrea

Il 14/09/19 07:01, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:
> Hi all,
> I would like to propose to remove the deb packages from master branch / 3.0, for some
reasons:

> 1. it's difficult to produce packages compatible at the same time with Debian, Ubuntu
and other derivatives: for example, ATM Debian stable has a tomcat9 package while Ubuntu LTS
is still on tomcat8

> 2. in branches 2_0_X and 2_1_X deb packages are used to build Docker images but on master
this has changed: since all is now based on Spring Boot, Docker images were changed as consequence

> 3. there are new components on master (SRA, Keymaster, WA, .. [1]) that would deserve
new deb packages, but I don't think the effort is worthwhile, especially given the reason
above

> 4. deb packages were originally meant as a fast and straightforward way to get Syncope
properly deployed, but I think that nowadays Docker images (with Docker Compose and Kubernetes
samples) serve better such purpose, on more platforms

--
Dott. Andrea Patricelli
Tel. +39 3204524292

Engineer @ Tirasa S.r.l.
Viale Vittoria Colonna 97 - 65127 Pescara
Tel +39 0859116307 / FAX +39 0859111173
http://www.tirasa.net

Apache Syncope PMC Member