syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Misagh Moayyed <misagh.moay...@tirasa.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Enabling Apache Maven wrapper
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2019 08:51:40 GMT

> Maybe is out of the scope of the plugin, but my only concern is about
> the JDK on which maven relies (and Syncope needs to be built to have a
> consistent artifact). Often the main build problems for users come from
> "wrong" JDK versions used. Does this plugin also handles JDK versions in
> a self-contained manner?

Unfortunately, no. This specifically deals with Maven installs, and the plugin assumes a *correct*
JDK version is already available, whatever it happens to be for the project. In fact, I am
not aware of any similar solutions for the JDK. Most solutions I see rely on docker that uses
a relevant openjdk base image and then the build executes commands inside the docker container's
shell. It works, and it does have its own use cases but it's way too complicated to set up
and reason about, for my taste.

Speaking out loud, this plugin (or future efforts in this area) only impact contributors who
deal with the Syncope codebase. Those who, for example, deploy Syncope using overlays and
archetypes are unaffected by this, and may face similar issues. It might be interesting to
include this sort of thing in the archetype as well, though we'd have a chicken-and-egg problem
given that one needs maven to generate the project :) So, probably not worth the effort there.