syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove deb packages for Syncope 3.'0
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2019 05:46:54 GMT
FYI: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-1495

> Hi all,
> I would like to propose to remove the deb packages from master branch / 3.0, for some
reasons:

> 1. it's difficult to produce packages compatible at the same time with Debian, Ubuntu
and other derivatives: for example, ATM Debian stable has a tomcat9 package while Ubuntu LTS
is still on tomcat8

> 2. in branches 2_0_X and 2_1_X deb packages are used to build Docker images but on master
this has changed: since all is now based on Spring Boot, Docker images were changed as consequence

> 3. there are new components on master (SRA, Keymaster, WA, .. [1]) that would deserve
new deb packages, but I don't think the effort is worthwhile, especially given the reason
above

> 4. deb packages were originally meant as a fast and straightforward way to get Syncope
properly deployed, but I think that nowadays Docker images (with Docker Compose and Kubernetes
samples) serve better such purpose, on more platforms

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/