syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JavaEE connection pool removeAbandoned setting
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2018 06:35:25 GMT
On 31/05/2018 19:30, Guido Wimmel wrote:
> Hi Francesco,
>
> Am 30.05.2018 um 11:11 schrieb Francesco Chicchiriccò:
>> On 29/05/2018 20:36, Guido Wimmel wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the recommended JavaEE configuration example on
>>> http://syncope.apache.org/docs/reference-guide.html#javaee-container
>>> contains
>>>
>>> <Resource ... removeAbandonedTimeout="20000" ... />
>>>
>>> Is this intentional? Seems strange to me, as this setting is in
>>> seconds (corresponding to more than 5 hours), according to
>>> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/jdbc-pool.html
>>>
>>> Seems to have been introduced long ago in
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-61 , which talks about
>>> milliseconds.
>>>
>>> Or do I overlook something here?
>>
>> Hi Guido,
>> it seems you're right.
>>
>> I would say that we should replace 20000 with 20.
>> (I must admit that since when we introduced HikariCP I am not
>> regularly using the Tomcat DBCP, not even in production).
>>
>> Would you like to take care of such change both in
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Run+Syncope+in+real+environments#RunSyncopeinrealenvironments-context.xml

>> and
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/syncope/blob/2_0_X/src/main/asciidoc/reference-guide/workingwithapachesyncope/systemadministration/javaeecontainer.adoc

>> ?
>> Regards.
>
> Sure, I can make the changes.
> Default in Tomcat is 60. 20 might also be appropriate as a
> recommendation if there are no long running queries.
>
> To be sure: the change in git should really be in the 2_0_X branch of
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/syncope.git , right?

Correct: I tend to provide GitHub links because the content looks more
appealing and navigable in the browser, but as we don't (currently?) use
gitbox [1], we push to git-wip-us.apache.org and github gets updated too.

Once committed to the 2_0_X branch, you could cherry-pick that commit to
the master branch.

At that point, you might want to have

* https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/2_0_X/reference-guide.html
* https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/master/reference-guide.html

updated: if so, either wait for about 24 hours, or join IRC [2] and send
the following messages:

* syncope-bot: force build syncope-2_0_X-docs
* syncope-bot: force build syncope-master-docs

> Any requirements on the commit message?

Just use your illusion :-)

> For the Wiki change I'd need change permission (Username: wimmelg).

I have just granted all permissions to your user.

Regards.

[1] https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf