syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Group membership
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2017 12:11:14 GMT
Hi Colm,

> Hi all,
>
> Recently we updated the RelationshipTO class to return the "other" end of
> the relationship. I'm wondering if it's possible (or desirable) to try and
> do something similar with memberships?

Not sure what you mean here: if I am reading an user, I can see from
relationships that the other end is an AnyObject; from memberships, I
can see that the other end is a Group.

So the only difference would be when reading a group instead, to see all
members there (as SCIM does).

> As a motivating use-case, take seeing how many users are members of a
> particular group. It's not possible to do it via the group REST API (unless
> I'm mistaken, please correct me if it is possible), but by querying the
> users REST API with (for example) $groups==employees.
>
> Let's say we want to get a list of all of the group names in Syncope, with
> a corresponding user membership count. We have to get the groups, then find
> the count of users in each group, which is not very efficient.
>
> I'm guessing listing the users who are members of the group in a call to
> GET a given group could result in a massive response.

Definitely agree.

> But perhaps we could include a simple count in GroupTO representing the current static
and
> dynamic users who are members of the given group at that point in time?

Understand: we can even differentiate between static and dynamic
members, users and any objects.

+1 to go ahead and fill an improvement on JIRA for this.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence