syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Colm O hEigeartaigh <cohei...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] - Support dynamic entitlements in Apache Syncope
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2017 18:20:07 GMT
Hi Francesco,

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org
> wrote:

> * Syncope defines applications, privileges and access policies (User U1 is
> allowed to access application A1 with privilege P1)
> * Syncope provides REST endpoint(s) that applications can invoke to check
> if their users own certain privileges

Yes this sounds great, pretty much exactly what I was looking for! :-)

> Essentially, Syncope will provide all means to define and evaluate access
> policies, and I don't see any reason to not adopt the relevant standards in
> this domain, e.g. XACML.

Interesting. So in addition to the REST endpoints that applications can
call to check if users are associated with certain privileges, we could
have a REST Endpoint which acts as a XACML PolicyDecisionPoint, where a
XACML request is evaluated against the set of XACML policies. This would
require modeling the access policies as XACML policies somehow which could
be a bit complex to implement.

We use the XACML RBAC profile for authorization for certain web services. A
web service sends a request to the PDP containing the Subject name + role
(already available from authentication) + the service name (URL or SOAP
service + endpoint String) + desired "action" (HTTP verb for example). The
policies are split into two separate types, a "role" policy which matches
the Subject, and this policy is associated with permission policies (which
associate an "action" with a "resource" so HTTP GET with a URL for
example). It might be interesting to see if the Syncope privilege model
might fall into the same pattern.

I'd suggest maybe that the "evaluation"/XACML part could be considered as a
future extension for now, as I don't think it's needed for the basic
use-case. Our main interest is in using Syncope to authenticate users in an
OpenId Connect IdP, and to then retrieve the privileges of that user (for a
given application) to be inserted into a JWT token. Applications could then
extract the privileges from the received token + apply RBAC etc. So in this
use-case, applications would not communicate with Syncope at all, and hence
wouldn't need to call Syncope for evaluation.

Colm.

Does it sound better?

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh