syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Syncope 2.0 with Docker
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2016 14:19:48 GMT
Hi Andrea,
first of all, let me thank you for such initiative of yours: the
container (and Docker) hype is higher than ever, and it'd be a pity not
to have Syncope joining the party.

AFAICT, I would see two distinct categories of Docker images:

1. a single image with core, console and enduser - which will require an
external DBMS for internal storage (another existing image?)

2. separate images for core, console and enduser - where the first will
require an external DBMS for internal storage (another image?) and a JMS
queue for OpenJPA clustering (another existing image?)

The idea is that the single image can be used for simple deployments,
where the others are meant to be orchestrated into a more powerful,
scalable architecture.

If we will create and release (alongside with other artifacts) such
Docker files, then we might also need to discuss if (and how) to publish
the related images.

Publishing to Docker Hub seems to be the most effective way, but at the
moment it is very unclear if there is a standard ASF approach about it:
some images are available under the 'apache' organization [3] (automated
builds), other under specific organizations, but still appearing managed
by their respective PMCs [4] (for public releases rather than automated
builds).

Moreover, a recent discussion about this topic on legal is available: [5].

My impression is that it would be safer to "just" release the Docker
files + instructions for building and orchestrating the resulting images.

Regards.

[3] https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/
[4] https://hub.docker.com/r/apachesling/sling/
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270