syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Switching to UUID primary keys for users, groups and any objects
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2016 06:31:20 GMT
Hi all,
it seems we are quite on the same page: UUIDs are good for Syncope, for
various reasons; side note: I haven't thought before how this will also
simplify the export / import of configuration as XML, not having to deal
any more with OPENJPA_SEQUENCES...

About the doubts expressed:

  * @Massimiliano: I don't believe it would take too much time: my
estimate is for 1~2 weeks at most, once I've understood how to manage
things at OpenJPA level [6]; moreover, I would say that such a step is
for new major releases, so it's something for 2.0 (or 3.0), I would
hardly introduce it in - say - 2.1.

  * @Guido: the migration path from 1.2 to 2.0, at least for how it is
being developed [7] is not affected by this change: users (and 1.2
roles, now groups) are meant to be pulled (synced in 1.2 terms) via a
"Syncope" ConnId connector; naturally, if someone uses the Syncope user
id outside of Syncope, this is definitely going to be problematic as you
highlight, even though there are some resolving strategies as replacing
user id with username for external reference, or to map somewhere
externally UUIDs to long.

I have opened SYNCOPE-822 for tracking this.

Regards.

[6] http://markmail.org/message/licbo2xitkkh2qhu
[7]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/[DISCUSS]+Migrate+from+1.2+to+2.0

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/