syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope for ASF identity management
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 12:52:28 GMT
On 09/12/2015 13:16, Tony Stevenson wrote:
> Francesco,
>
> As I said in HipChat, I'd love to be able to say that we can do this.
> But the fact is right now infra are tied up for at least 6 months.
>
> I think the best way to gain any traction on this is for the Syncope PMC
> to stand up a PoC that replaces 1 (or more) of the components used.

As anticipated via HipChat, this is actually the deep sense of my
proposal, e.g. the direct engagement of Syncope PMC - not only,
actually, but anyone interested - for supporting the infra team.

A PoC sounds like a straight, concrete and limited way to start
approaching IdM at ASF with Syncope.

> i.e.  these might include:
>
>   - https://id.apache.org  (The end-user part of it)
>   - acreq - The user account request workflow
>   - Identity Management as a whole.
>   - PMC karma management
>
> I will be more than happy to help guide the PMC, and give you an ASF VM
> on which you can stand up your PoC, and guide you on the business logic
> already in place for any of these tools.

That's good - IMO we need:

  1. a place where to ask for information, provide feedback, etc. (shall
we keep crossposting infra@ and dev@syncope?)
  2. VM
  3. SCM
  4. (possibly) some issue tracker (not necessarily JIRA, something
simpler would fit the job as well)
  5. (nice to have) some wiki (not necessarily Confluence, something
simpler would fit the job as well)

> For a long time we have tried to manage identity, or some cut-down
> version of it, solely via LDAP. Then we added id.apache.org, and then
> acreq was added.  They were all really disjointed efforts.  If we can
> bring all this under one roof, and make it usable I think it will be a
> win.
>
> The idea of a PoC is to be able to demonstrate that Syncope could
> basically be dropped in, and replace one of these components.
>
> We'd also want some decent handover and/or training from the Syncope
> community.  I'm not sure we'd accept it if the community wanted to
> support it on it's own, because the sad fact is people move on, and we
> would be left with a critical piece of the jigsaw remaining unsupported.

Agree on this last point as well: I'd suggest to identify someone from
the infra team which could follow activities, provide inputs, etc since
the beginning.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/