syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Errors in https://builds.apache.org/job/Syncope-windows/
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 21:03:12 GMT
Le 5/2/12 7:45 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 02/05/2012 18:39, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>> Le 5/2/12 5:33 PM, Niklas Gustavsson a écrit :

>>> Should be fixed now. But, I would argue that it's never a good idea to
>>> run tests on fixed ports. You're running in a shared environment (or
>>> on some random developer's box) where you can never know that these
>>> ports are available. Instead, if at all possible, let the OS pick a
>>> free port for you.
>>>
>>> /niklas
>> Hi Niklas,
>>
>> I totally agree with that. One thing to consider though : using port
>> 0 to get Tomcat to pick a random port might lead to many ports
>> remaining opened, if the cleanup is not done correctly...
>
> I believe that the right cleanup is currently performed; there are
> some known conditions though (for example     ) leading sometimes
> Tomcat processes to hang: the only effective cleanup I know in such
> cases is a good old "kill -9".
You certainly have ways to get rid of such exceptions
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/88235/how-to-deal-with-java-lang-outofmemoryerror-permgen-space-error)

> Because of this, I would think that fixed port numbers will help
> avoiding major problems - as reported by Emmanuel above.
> If you still think it would be better to have random port numbers, we
> could explore build-helper-maven-plugin:reserve-network-port in order
> to get all needed network ports for running integration tests; as
> reported above, in fact, it's not just Tomcat.
Those ports problem is certainly not a Tomcat specific issue, sadly. At
MINA, until we discovered that we can open a port 0 (and let the system
select an available port), we had a dirty hack that was trying to do the
same. But MINA is certainly a different case.

Note that this is not really a big problem. We are discussing about a
potential solution to an annoyance (Jenkins mails), so no need to rush
and change the whole build right now :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,