syncope-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Errors in https://builds.apache.org/job/Syncope-windows/
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 17:45:11 GMT

>>> https://builds.apache.org/job/Syncope-windows/ws/core/target/log/cargo-output.log

>> Should be fixed now. But, I would argue that it's never a good idea to
>> run tests on fixed ports. You're running in a shared environment (or
>> on some random developer's box) where you can never know that these
>> ports are available. Instead, if at all possible, let the OS pick a
>> free port for you.
>>
>> /niklas
> Hi Niklas,
>
> I totally agree with that. One thing to consider though : using port 0
> to get Tomcat to pick a random port might lead to many ports remaining
> opened, if the cleanup is not done correctly...

I believe that the right cleanup is currently performed; there are some
known conditions though (for example OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space)
leading sometimes Tomcat processes to hang: the only effective cleanup I
know in such cases is a good old "kill -9".

Because of this, I would think that fixed port numbers will help
avoiding major problems - as reported by Emmanuel above.
If you still think it would be better to have random port numbers, we
could explore build-helper-maven-plugin:reserve-network-port in order to
get all needed network ports for running integration tests; as reported
above, in fact, it's not just Tomcat.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò