synapse-user mailing list archives

From "Ruwan Linton" <ruwan.lin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question about REST services
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:43:06 GMT
Hi David,

Thanks for the valuable feedback and first of all I must agree that still
there are certain areas that we have to improve on when it comes to REST.

At the same time I would like to comment on the two cases that you have
pointed, please see the comments in line...

On Jan 10, 2008 10:45 PM, David Purcell <David.Purcell@csu.mnscu.edu> wrote:

> In looking through the synapse examples, there is mention of POX and a
> little about REST, but I don't see true support for RESTful style services
> that take advantage of all the HTTP verbs, for instance.  Is that pretty
> much the case, or am I missing something?  I'm thinking of the following
> scenarios:
>
> 1.  We could expose a SOAP interface to the world, but the mediation would
> translate to RESTful style if the end service is actually a RESTful service

Well, this is possible but is not automatic, we have to command synapse that
you need to forward this SOAP message to a REST endpoint so that it will
handle it. Other than that by just specifying the endpoint synapse can not
deliver a REST message to that endpoint. AFAIK, this is normal and synapse
can not be too much intelligent and even if we take the SOAP to POX
conversion case it is the same. (In effect we can do this by forcing GET on
the endpoint declaration for the REST case and forcing POX on the endpoint
declaration for the POX case)

> 2.  Synapse could simply perform some mediation but pass along a REST
> request to a REST end service (maybe the message/payload doesn't need to be
> changed, we just need to interrogate the request for security or auditing
> purposes).

Hhhmmm.... Good point. Again AFAIK, inside synapse we convert the REST
message to a SOAP info set for the mediation, I think we could improve this
to pass this as it is if there is no mediation involved. Further if the
incoming request is REST then the out going message is also going to be REST
without any forcing (synapse can handle that), but the message will be built
to a SOAP info set and will be converted to the URL format on sending it
out.

Thanks,
Ruwan