synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Gallagher <dannygallagh...@gmail.com>
Subject Making decisions in the ESB / Workflow / Mediation space
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 17:39:41 GMT
We have been evaluating different available technologies in
this space for a large project.  The project, at its core, is a need
to orchestrate web services (sync and async). The enterprise needs involve
the
ability to move large digital files globally, along with metadata related
to those files.

We have found it difficult to really evaluate different ways of
implementing this, other than
looking at high level features published by various projects / products /
etc.

It's seems that without doing a somewhat involved POC using a few chosen
platforms, we really won't
have the information / experience that we need to make a good decision on
which pieces to use.
Add in the cost of various support licenses vs. no licenses, etc, etc, and
things get even more cloudy.
This seems to just be the nature of the beast.

So after some time spent looking at different options I am left with a few
questions that perhaps some experts
here could shed some light on.  Or set me straight if I'm completely off
base.

We started down the road that we wanted to use BPEL (because it's a
standard) to implement the workflow that
ties the services together.  However, it seems that all the java based BPEL
products out there use apache ODE
under the covers.  From what I can gather, ODE doesn't really support
calling REST services from a workflow.
Looks like something that is under consideration for a future release:
http://ode.apache.org/roadmap.html
http://ode.apache.org/bpel-extensions.html

That means that if we go the BPEL route, we need to then use some type of
ESB product so that we can proxy the REST services
from the esb with a wsdl.  Correct? (which defeats the whole purpose of
REST)

As alternative #1, use Mule/WSo2/ServiceMix(FuseSource) - implementing the
workflow in manner supported by each:
Mule: homegrown?
WSo2: based on synapse
Service Mix: Camel

As alternative #2, use synapse or camel to implement the workflow on our
own and deploy into Tomcat, adding pieces
from alternative #1 if we need them.

Do I sound like I'm in a rational spot for my three potential paths?  Are
there large things I'm not considering?

Any advice / thoughts are greatly appreciated.