synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Ruwan Linton <ruwan.lin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Synapse-2.0.0 (Take2)
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:11:09 GMT
Hi Eric,

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Hubert, Eric <Eric.Hubert@foxmobile.com>wrote:

>  Answers inline. Not every statement was meant to describe a „problem“, I
> simply always described what I did and what happened. Unexpected behaviour
> is separately mentioned…
>   ------------------------------
>

> 1) Synapse startup test with custom 1.2 config
>
> - config has been put into repository/conf/synapse-config as it seems to
> got ignored in repository/conf
>

> I think this is by design and we need to document this on the Upgrading
> guide.
>
> Agreed.

Documented this on the upgrading guide, as the first thing to read when
migrating from 1.2 to 2.0

>   - Synapse does not startup due to a problem in the config (e.g. missing
> registry implementation class on the classpath)
>

> I will have a look at this, I guess this needs to be fixed if there is an
> issue, can you please give me a small config bit to re-produce this issue?
> may be you are using a WSO2 ESB registry class shipped with WSO2 which of
> course is not available in synapse. :-(
>
> Yes, my aim was to test a failure case. So it was absolutely expected that
> this fails. No issue at all!
>

>   - Unexpected behaviour: Although Synapse detects the problems, tries to
> perform a clean shutdown, it “keeps hanging” and does not return to the
> shell with an error return value
>

> Can you please attach the log for this and steps to re-produce, this again
> I would like to fix depending on the complexity of the issue... and if this
> gets slipped from 2.0.0 I suggest immediately spinning a 2.0.1 to fix this
> and any other this sort of issues from the 2.0.0 branch. WDYT?
>
> Yes, I personally do not consider this critical – it is simply only not
> nice. By the way, the same condition can be reached with many different
> issues in a user’s config. Reproduction is easy. Just specify any class name
> non existing in the classpath e.g. as the registry provider implementation.

It was just a missing exit statement, it does the clean shutdown and just
that the thread is not existing. I have fixed this too, on the 2.0 branch,
though I was not planning to fix this for the release it happened to be an
easy fix.

> 2) Migration Tool
>
> - executing the migration tool expects a config in repository/conf (former
> config location)
>

> If you type help for the migration tool sh you will find that it is the
> default location the script looks for but you can specify your own location
> too.
>
> Maybe it would be slightly better if an no arg execution outputs a usage
> instead of assuming the default location and immediately starting to do
> something. But this is obviously a matter of taste…

I will fix this as this seems more appropriate.

>   - old copy copied there and restarted
>
> - migration tool modifies config
>
> - Unexpected behaviour:
>
> - after migration config stays in repository/conf and needs to be manually
> copied to repository/conf/synapse-conf to be recognized
>

> This again is the default location, assuming that you are running the
> migration tool for an old configuration, but you could of course give the
> new location to be saved after migrating the configuration. I guess we need
> a little bit more documentation around the migration tool.
>

>   - migration tool mistakenly removes namespaces (destroying the config),
> e.g.
>     <code xmlns:tns="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope"
> value="tns:Receiver"/> à <syn:code value="tns:Receiver" /> resulting in
> startup issues
>

> This we need to fix for this release, I will work on this.
>
> Great, I’d also consider this to be a blocker as the migration tool can
> convert a working config into a non-working one. I have not checked whether
> a backup is saved somewhere…

It backs up the original file. I've also fixed this issue.

>   - migration tool removes indentation at the beginning of each xml
> element
>

> This is a known issue, but I agree needs to be fixed, since it is not
> critical I would live with this for the 2.0.0, but definitely a candidate
> for the next version, so we need to raise an issue ticket on the synapse
> JIRA for this.
>
>  Agreed, if no one beats me I can do this later today…

Will create an issue for this, but I looked for fixing this but couldn't
find a way to crack it :-(

> 3) Traditional config in single file versus multi file configuration
>
> - Unexpected behaviour:
>
>   - replacing dummy synapse.xml with old (converted) config is not enough,
> it results in errors if main and/or fault sequences are used (as the must
> exist only once), sequence files need to be removed
>
>   from subdirectories
>

> Yes, this I agree with, but cannot do much I guess again need to explain
> this on the Upgrading guide
>
> Is the reason for this, that no concept has precedence over the other? One
> can mix both approaches as desired? If so I fully understand, but
> documentation is the least we should do. I would also vote for a prominent
> link to the Upgrading section in the documentation right from the front
> page. May under what’s new or so…

Well, my view is it is not so good to neglect the configurations either on
synapse.xml nor on the sequences dir and so forth, to me that is a user
error and we should fail to start if the failsafe mode is not set.

> 4) Usage of custom mediators / Site Documentation “Upgrading”
>
> - In the docu I could not quickly locate a document summarizing the steps
> which need to be done to upgrade custom mediators according to API changes
> (I received some AbstractMethodError). I did not check the mediator sources
> against the current libraries to find out what is no longer compiling….
> Anyway a quick summary of API changes would be nice. As long as I haven’t
> check the points which do not compile I cannot say for sure, whether those
> problems are due to the fact that public methods not considered to be part
> of the public API have been used on our end (which is not unlikely at all).
>

> I agree, will try to add more on the API changes, at least for the mediator
> API.

This is the second and the final task that is remaining...

Am trying to get the RC3 out by tomorrow my time, which is within the next
24 hours.

Thanks,
Ruwan