synapse-dev mailing list archives

From indika kumara <indika.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Generating Names for Anon. Endpoints
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 11:52:03 GMT
I too agree with supun ...

The usability may depend on the answer for 'Why does a user like in-lined
configurations? '.  That is why I really needed a good answer from real
users...

The correctness is come first and the most important quality attribute than
other quality attributes.   Irrespective of the criticality of the operation
that depends on the name of the endpoint, the operation should be worked
correctly. At least, if any operation that needs the name of the endpoint is
enabled, then we should validate the uniqueness of the endpoint name.

Thanks
Indika

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <supun06@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <
>> hiranya911@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Supun, this is exactly what I think we shouldn't be doing. If we are
>>> forcing the user to define names for each and every endpoint, then we are
>>> actually getting rid of the support for anonymous endpoints.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> We should try our best to keep the simple case as simple. Anonymous
>> endpoints are very usable from the users point of view, and at least 70-80%
>> of the users are not enabling clustering, if we are to enforce a name for
>> every endpoint regardless whether it is inlined or not, we are making the
>> simple case hard from the user point of view.
>>
>> My belief is doing the correct thing is important than the usability at
> least when the usability degradation is minimal. I think that is the exact
> reason why we are trying to make the synapse language schema compliant now.
>
> Also forcing a name for an inline endpoint is not that user un-friendly. To
> define an endpoint user has to do many things. So I think just including the
> name attribute is not a big user un-friendly thing compared to all the
> things user has to do already.
>
> My concerns about name generation are not only with clustering. Lets say
> an anonymous endpoint got suspended or received a time-out error. How can
> the user know which endpoint got suspended or received the error?
>
> Also lets say user wants to do JMX monitoring. How can he distinguish the
> different endpoints?
>
> I think synapse language should always force the production best practices
> and I think having a meaningful name to an endpoint is a production best
> practice that every deployment should do.
>
> Thanks,
> Supun..
>

>> Thanks,
>> Ruwan