synapse-dev mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Like to know the Synapse AMQP trasports status
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:44:56 GMT
Hi Lahiru,

I am afraid it's in an unusable state atm mainly due to my fault.
I would also like to take this opportunity to discuss the continuity
of the amqp transport.

The motivation behind creating an AMQP specific transport instead of
using it via the JMS transport was due to the perceived flexibility &
performance achieved via a transport that is close to the protocol.

However as Qpid gained more experience and myself having the privilege
of working with customers and end users realized that the JMS
implementation is lacking this flexibility more due to design issues
than any real issue with the API itself. Over the last year or so we
made significant improvements to the JMS client.
The new address format that will be used by all the Qpid clients
including JMS will be rich enough to tune protocol specifics via the
javax.jms.Destination abstraction while allowing applications to use
pure JMS without having to resort to a vendor specific low level API.
Going forward management aspects such as having to create
queues/exchanges dynamically could be done by sending a map message
than invoking a protocol command. Infact in AMQP 1.0 management/admin
work such as declaring queues are not protocol specific commands any
more. They are achieved via sending messages to a known admin/mgt
service within a container.

There was also quite a bit of performance work done in the JMS client
to the extent the difference btw the JMS layer and lower layer is
negligible for a real business application especially within the
context of Synapse. In artificial benchmarks the diff is about 10k
msg/sec.

Therefore with the benefit of hindsight I feel that having an AMQP
specific transport doesn't add anything significant over the well
tested JMS transport that Synapse has.
However before coming to a conclusion, it would be worthwhile to
figure out all the use cases around AMQP with Synapse.
Then we could document how they could be achieved via the JMS transport.
If there are any use cases that cannot be reasonably met, then perhaps
we could discuss about an AMQP specific transport.

Regards,

Rajith

--
Regards,