synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Hubert, Eric" <Eric.Hub...@foxmobile.com>
Subject RE: SLF4J dependency??
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:01:25 GMT
Hi Ruwan,

I think we already had this topic in April. ;-) At that time we identified qpid and mina,
if I'm not wrong. Mina was only used by Quickfix/J...

But here a mail I pulled of my mail archive:

------------- Mail from Ruwan Sa 04.04.2009 14:26 ---------------

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Andreas Veithen <andreas.veithen@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 13:50, Ruwan Linton <ruwan.linton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I believe slf4j is required only for the FIX transport. It is a MINA
>> dependency which is used by Quickfix/J. If it is not used by anything else
>> we should remove this.
>
> Good point, Asankha, are we going to ship the QFJ jar files, I think we have
> decided to remove these and document this under the fix transport
> configuration for the user to put in these dependencies upon configuring it,
> right??

This JAR only takes 9 KB. I would just leave it in the distribution.
The advantage is that whenever a user adds a library that uses the
SLF4J framework, logging will correctly work out of the box without
the need for the user to understand the relationship between log4j,
SLF4J and commons-logging.

I am completely OK with keeping this, but not QuickFixJ and other related dependencies, because
FIX is a domain specific transport which wont be required for many users.

Ruwan