synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Hubert, Eric" <Eric.Hub...@foxmobile.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Hot deployment/update of the synapse artifacts
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:41:47 GMT
+1, this really sounds like a useful feature

________________________________
Folks,

Now that the synapse configurations can be differentiated into different files, it is possible
to provide a hot deployment/update of the synapse artifacts like sequences, endpoints, proxy
services, etc...

This is an interesting feature that should be used with care, but is very helpful at the development
time because you can test your sequences, endpoints without restarting the synapse server.
Of course there has to be a switch to turn this behaviour off on the production environments.
So if I describe the behaviour, when the hot deployment is turned on users can dynamically
install sequences, endpoints and so on... on the running server by droping those configurations
into the relevant folders inside the synapse-config directory. In the same manner by changing
an existing file users can change the runtime configuration of the sequences and all the synapse
artifacts.

I remember some time back we did (I think it was andreas) proxy services deployment as per
a user requirement and it should be good to extend that to other artifacts as well.

Finally, I am proposing this because of the fact that WSO2 ESB has a requirement to support
hot deployment/update of the synapse artifacts, to implement a concept called Applications
(this is a set of axis2, synapse and ode artifacts bundled together into a deployable artifact).
I copuld impltment this ontop of Syanspe only for WSO2 ESB but I think this will be a nice
addition to Synapse.

WDYT?