synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: startup order - correct place to start transport listeners
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 05:44:43 GMT
Hi Indika

We already have the capability to shutdown gracefully, or on demand. In
a graceful shutdown request, we first turn off accepting new messages.
But continue processing already accepted and processing messages. So the
messages already in the engine can work normally, send out requests,
accept responses etc. The transport listeners (e.g. HTTP/S) are also
up.. and once responses are ready on open sockets, they would still
continue to send back responses to the clients that are still connected.
Its only new requests that are stopped.

I wrote the code to get the engine to wait a maximum number of seconds -
for these in-process messages to complete, the callbacks to get replies
etc. However, once the graceful timeout specified by a user expires, we
shutdown the engine. This code is already within the WSO2 ESB 1.7.x and
is valid for Synapse to be brought in

cheers
asankha

--