I think having bundle names such as org.apache.synapse.transport_SNAPSHOT.jar is just a convention, mainly adopted by Eclipse Equinox. Some projects like WSO2 Carbon (http://wso2.org/projects/carbon) have adopted this convention to the extent that even the Maven2 modules/folders have this convention (https://wso2.org/repos/wso2/trunk/carbon), but there is no hard and fast rule to adopt it.

Thanks
Azeez