synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Saminda Abeyruwan" <samin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Renaming Synapse artifact jar files
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:25:35 GMT
Hi All,

IMHO, Synapse folks can keep the physical names of MVN artifacts as it is.
Physical names are opaque and wouldn't reflect much information w.r.t to
OSGi standards.

Even the bundle-symbolicName can be anything and doesn't need to follow
strict patterns. Normally when we create a bundle, for ex: consider the
following example,

if the package structure of a project
+- org
         +- foo
                  +- bar
                            +- internal
                                             +- Activator.jar
                       +- Foo.jar
                        ..
                             +- car
                                      +-  Foo1.java

We normally select the bundle-symbolicName as "org.foo.bar". As this could
be considered as the parent of all other packages. Hence, when a
user/developer looking the meta-date of the bundle, one be able to get a
good understanding of the packaging structure.

In order to make the life easy for user/developer who use this bundles, the
physical name of the bundle also named with the bundle-symbolicName. This is
just a convenience factor for users/developers.

If someone adheres to prior way of naming bundles, it's very convenient to
distinguish bundles. Ex: org.foo.bar Vs org.foo.bar.ui.

 In-order to achieve this we will need to change the names of the artifacts
> to the following format.
>
> synapse-transport-SNAPSHOT.jar ==>
> org.apache.synapse.transports-SNAPSHOT.jar
> synapse-core-SNAPSHOT.jar ==> org.apache.synapse.core-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> and so on.... WDYT?
>

>  Awwww.. I personally don't like the above file names at all.. if OSGi
> cannot understand them, they should fix it.. can we raise a JIRA against it?

Any OSGi implementation can understand  the previous names.  I believe Ruwan
is trying to make the names more self informative and descriptive.

> Sometime back we did a lot to be Maven 2 compatible across many projects..
> I don't want to change everything now just so that OSGi understands them..
>

> However, if you can generate a build target that generates these OSGi
> bundles on some profile, as a copy of the existing artifacts - and we upload
> them to maven 2 etc, - I am totally fine with that.. is that possible?

+1. Since Synapse is quite famous around the community and it's not IMHO
time to change the names of the main artifacts. As Asankha has said, it's
worth to build the OSGi bundles separately using MVN  semantics  and used by
OSGi community.

Thank you!

Saminda