synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "Ruwan Linton" <ruwan.lin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Synapse clustering
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:30:27 GMT
Rajith,

We currently supports clustering only over the Caching and Throttling
mediators. Because synapse instances can share a remote registry to download
the configuration at startup we can let each and every synapse nodes in a
cluster to get its configuration from a single registry and start with a
common configuration, so that we don't need to replicate the configuration.
Of course if some one changes the configuration of a particular instance,
that instance will only be changed to the new configuration, but we do not
expect this to happen in a production environment. Even the user
requirements which flows in to synapse were aware of that and OK with that.

Most part of synapse is stateless and hence does not have any effect over
clustering, but Caching and Throttling does. So Caching and Throttle
mediators use the axis2-clustering implementation to replicate the state of
those mediators among the cluster within the implementation of those
mediators it self. Other than that we do not replicate states of synapse in
a global scope. I think this model fits for the moment and has performance
improvements over supporting clustering in a global scope.

As a summary, yes we leverage axis2-clustering functionality but over the
scope of mediator level, not on the synapse global scope. Any way synapse
uses the underlying axis2.xml cluster configuration to enable clustering.

I think this explains how we do clustering, if you need further
clarification please let me know...

Thanks,
Ruwan

--