synapse-dev mailing list archives

From "ant elder" <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Synapse using SCA assembly model for configuration
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:11:20 GMT
On 7/24/07, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:

> On 7/24/07, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recently read Dan's blog entry on the SCA assembly model:
> > http://netzooid.com/blog/2007/07/22/sca-assembly-vs-spring-cxf/
> >
> > That and some other discussions I've had made me think about maybe
> > offering the SCA assembly model to configure Synapse. So it seems to
> > me that you can draw a direct correlation between:
> >
> > Synapse Proxy and SCA Service
> > Synapse Endpoint and SCA reference
> > Synapse Mediator - a specific type of SCA Component
> > Synapse Property - SCA Property
> >
> > If we were to make the XMLConfigurationBuilder pluggable then we could
> > just use this as an alternative configuration language. We did talk
> > about this in the beginning of Synapse [we discussed having a LEX/YACC
> > style config language - which I would still LOVE if someone wants to
> > do that - it would make a great Computer Science project]
> >
> > Anyway back to SCA, it seems to me that this would be a pretty nice
> > alternative config model, using an independent third party language.
> > I'm guessing that there is plenty of Tuscany code could help us
> > implement this. Maybe we might do it jointly?
> >
> > So I'm imagining the existing runtime being *exactly* the same as
> > today, but being able to use a subset of the SCA Assembly model to
> > configure it. Maybe some of the SCA wizards on tusc-dev can jump in
> > and let me know if this is feasible?
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > PS If someone is looking at
> > http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/07/scaproblem and wondering where this
> > is coming from I offer a few thoughts. Firstly, I'm always open to
> > being proved wrong! Secondly, this would not be adding any layers of
> > indirection... I'm mapping directly from SCA concepts into the Synapse
> > runtime with this idea. Finally, I see nothing wrong with holding
> > several inconsistent viewpoints at the same time :)
>

> Great idea. This is definitely feasible, and also i think it would be
> really useful - so good for Synapse and good for Tuscany. You're right, we
> do have plenty of code in Tuscany that we can use, a big part of recent
> Tuscany releases has been around modularizing the code base to make exactly
> this type of thing easy to do. So I'd like take you up on the suggestion to
> do this jointly, as it turns out, i can even spend a bit of time helping
> make this happen. Let me go pull some things together and I'll post more
> about it tomorrow.
>
>    ...ant

Had a quick look at how sca support could be plugged into the existing
Synapse runtime, not sure how to hook in to the existing initialization code
without some code changes to Synapse. One option would be to add a new Axis2
module that is initialized after the existing Synapse module. That could
then pick up the SynapseEnvironment and SynapseConfiguration objects from
the AxisConfiguration and add the Synapse config as required based on the
sca contributions. This seems like an easy and harmless way to at least get
started which would have minimal disruption. What do you guys think, any
other suggestions?

   ...ant